Windstorm/Tornado Damage – Commercial Insurance Claims
Texas has more tornadoes per year on average than any other state. Severe tornadoes can leave behind paths of destruction reaching 1 to 2 miles wide and 50 miles long, causing billions of dollars in damages.
Straight-line winds can cut an even wider swath of destruction. Both types of windstorm turn loose objects and debris into missiles and can cause a wide range of damage to even the sturdiest of commercial properties – ripping off roofs and siding; tearing out walls, doors, and windows; uprooting trees; damaging gas, water, and electrical lines; and torqueing your property’s infrastructure.
Most states in “Tornado Alley” have separate deductibles for tornado and wind damage. This may be a flat amount or a percentage of your total coverage amount. Understanding the impact of this tornado and wind deductible and knowing how to maximize your insurance coverage is critical to making sure you get everything you’re owed under your insurance policy.
After a Windstorm or Tornado:
- Fully inspect your commercial property for structural damage from wind, hail, or water before you enter;
- Contact your insurance company to report your claim, as well as to find out when you can expect the insurance adjuster to arrive;
- Take photos or video footage of your property to document the extent of the damage;
- Secure your property to prevent further damage;
- Keep track of all recovery-related expenses and receipts to file with your property insurance claim; and
- Consider hiring a public adjuster to assist you with your tornado/windstorm damage claim.
Our public adjusters can help by:
- Fully reviewing your insurance coverage;
- Determining policy compliance issues;
- Developing a claim management strategy;
- Completing detailed valuations of building, equipment and inventory losses;
- Formulating business interruption models;
- Assembling comprehensive claim presentations with expert reports; and
- Expediting the insurance claims entire process.
Our public adjusters work exclusively for the policyholder—not the insurance company—enabling us to act in your best interest. As your advocate, we ensure that both you and your business’ windstorm/tornado damage claim are treated fairly by the insurance company.
Who have we helped?
…On March 29th a level F-2 tornado struck our property, Bank One Tower of Ft. Worth. The effect of this storm was severe damage to our property as well as significant portions of the downtown area of Ft. Worth… From the time of engagement and until the completion of our insurance settlement, Adjusters International provided us with every service needed to resolve an extremely complicated loss. Your diligence, professionalism and skill brought to us the support we needed to stabilize the property and successfully coordinate a large team of construction and disaster specialists. …
Our insurance claims experts have helped thousands of business owners across all types of industries. We encourage you to look through our references and testimonials and to contact us for recommendation letters. An internal review showed that our clients felt we delivered what we promised and would work with us again—facts we are proud of. We welcome the opportunity to put you in touch with past clients so you can ask them yourself.
Listen to our podcast on “Business Income Insurance: Understanding Business Income Coverage” for tips from our experts:
For additional information, visit:
- “10 Things You Can Do To Make Disaster Recovery Go More Smoothly”
- “Public Adjusters vs Independent Adjusters”
- “What is a Public Adjuster?”